Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Lazy Way to Apple Pie


Apple crisp is easier, less fuss, and, in my opinion, just as delicious (if not more so) than apple pie.  The method is simple: peel and chop some apples, throw them in a dish with a little water or lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon, and stir.  Top this with a crumble that comes together in about 2 minutes and throw in an oven until browned and bubbling.

That's it.

Over the past couple weeks, I've taken to buying apples at the farmer's market.  The problem is, every week I try a new apple and every week I find myself eating through mediocre apples that aren't up to my (exacting) standards of crispness and sweet-tartness.  This week, however, I picked up some Snow Sweets and THEY. ARE. AWESOME.  Pure white on the inside, extremely crisp, sweet with a hint of tart.  Sort of like honeycrisp but with more character.  I won't have any trouble eating all of these out of hand, and bonus: I had a handful of the previous week's apples left in my crisper drawer.  Apple crisp it is!

---
Apple Crisp

Ingredients
6-8 small/medium apples, peeled and chopped (enough to fill your baking pan of choice)
1/4 c. sugar
approx. 2-3 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
splash of water, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar

1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. oats
1/4 c. sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 c. butter, cut in slices

1. Preheat oven to 375.  Peel and chop apples and combine with sugar, cinnamon, salt and liquid in a baking dish.

2. In separate bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, and salt.  Work butter into flour mixture with your hands until crumbly and clumpy. 


3. Dump crumb mixture on top of apple mixture.


4. Bake until browned and filling is bubbling, somewhere between 30-45 minutes.


5. Serve with vanilla ice cream or frozen custard!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to find new blogs, especially in the Fall. My cousin told me about yours and also one called "Cooking With Mr. C." which is on Facebook and is also a blog. I just "Liked" his page and came directly to your site. I'm so excited. My kids love when I find new blogs. Thank you. Corinne

    ReplyDelete